/* Google analytics tracker */ John the Revelator: Getting discovered through karaoke

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Getting discovered through karaoke

A recent news article caught my attention. (from Rolling Stone, and from RTT News). It seems that Steve Tyler (lead singer with Aerosmith) was seen singing karaoke at a bar in Palm Springs, California. He apparently did not go to the bar intending to sing, but one of the groups that sang butchered a song of his so badly that he felt he had to redeem himself. He took the stage and showed the crowd how it should be done.

I don't want to get into what is going on with Steve Tyler and rehab and whether he is going to sing with Aerosmith and Aerosmith's search for a replacement for Tyler. That's all interesting stuff, but there has been plenty of news coverage on that.

Another topic I just want to mention ... the two guys that sang "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" were booed off the stage. Don't get me started on this. All I want to say is that this is poor form for the audience. Please be respectful and realize that by golly, this is karaoke.

The news item got me thinking though. Steve Tyler went from being a rock star to being a karaoke singer. Does the opposite ever happen? Do rock stars actually get discovered singing karaoke?

I had a patron once tell me that Mary J. Blige was the only rock star who had been discovered while singing karaoke. Interesting. Sounds plausible. Or could this just be urban legend? That sounds plausible, too. I googled around and found the statement to be half true. It seems that Blige didn't go to a karaoke bar, but rather she made what was essentially a demo tape in a karaoke-style booth. (See article 1 and article 2.)

I spent quite a bit of time googling and found a couple of interesting articles about discovering rock stars: how some black singers were discovered, and how some women singers were discovered.

After 37 hours of gruegling [this is a word I just coined - a combination of grueling and googling], I only found one reference that claimed a discovery through karaoke: Coco Lee. She entered a karaoke contest and was discovered. Her Wikipedia entry does not mention karaoke, however. It says that she was discovered through the "New Talent Singing Awards" in Hong Kong. I wouldn't exactly call that being discovered singing karaoke.

That begs the question. Is American Idol just a glorified karaoke contest?  I mean, most karaoke contests have a first place prize of maybe $50, or a gift certificate for the bar. I have personally given away quite a number of vintage Les Paul inflatable guitars as prizes. The only real difference with American Idol is that you win a recording contract, you are seen by millions of people, you get a real live band for backup, and Simon gets to tell you how awful you are. All that pales in comparison to the vintage inflated-with-air guitar.

If American Idol is really just a karaoke contest, then there certainly have been a number of stars discovered through karaoke.

Maybe I need to refine my question. What I really meant was more along this line: "Hey Revelator!  I got this really awesome voice. You won't believe it. Really. Trust me. Do ya think a talent scout from a major record label will just happen to stop into this place for a beer one night, hear me totally rockin' out, and then sign me up on the spot?!?!?  I dunno if I mentioned this, but my voice is fabulous."

Sadly, I'm going to have to answer "prob'ly not". I often have people tell me before they sing that they have an awesome voice. And they tell me that I gotta let them sing next because every one in the club is dying to hear them sing. So, I know that the awesome voice is not the issue. Still, it doesn't appear that people get discovered that way. So, maybe the talent scouts from major record labels don't visit karaoke bars? Or maybe these talent scouts just quietly sip their beers and leave, oblivious of the major talent that they are missing out on?

I dunno the answer to this. But I would like to hear if anyone knows of another singer/rock star/recording artist who was discovered while singing karaoke.

John the Revelator

6 comments:

John Seymour said...

Update...

I floated this question out to a few KJs. David Grimes of Big Mama Digital entertainment (http://bigmama.tv/) offered up some thoughts:

Arnel Pineda (Journey's new singer) was discovered through his YouTube karaoke videos.

Taylor Swift carted karaoke recording around Nashville before hitting the big time.

Sheldon Tarsha (who sand sporadically with Adler's Appetite) made his way by singing karaoke contests. He was eventually discovered through the KaraokeFest comppetition.


All these are great, but I still have not found someone who made it big when a talent scout walked into a karaoke bar.

Any other suggestions?

silkysoul said...

No. Unfortunately, karaoke has been relegated to entertainment limbo, where even the best singer/performer is "tainted" by the bad rap that karaoke has been labeled with. I got a feeling that even if someone was discovered initially thru a karaoke bar show, their marketing experts would spin that history right out of the bio! Ha!

John Seymour said...

Ouch... the truth is painful! How can people malign the art form of karaoke?!??! LOL

Anonymous said...

Interesting topic here that I've accidentally stumbled upon! And VERY relevant to what's going on in my life. I'll make a looooooong story as short as I can: I'm 60, look 38-42,depending on what the night was like! Been in physical fitness field all my adult life, so except for a completely recovered-from heart attack (go figure!) I'm in great shape. Out of high school, was lead singer in a band that was on the threshold of fame and success when our lead guitarist cut his thumb off in a lawn mowing "accident" at exactly the same time we were offered a recording contract. His father was our manager, he lost interest when his son was out of the picture, and it all fell apart! But the DRAW was ME!! Flash forward nearly 40 years...I'm singing again, after a looooooong layoff, and its all coming back! Karaoke bars and clubs, online, anywhere I can I'm singing! People are stunned at my range, versatility, and vocal control! I once again believe in myself! So, here's what I'm going to do-This summer I'm taking a road trip, maybe with my brother, but with or without him, and I'm going to Nashville and Memphis. I have songs I've written, and songs my younger son and I have written together, and it's time! I'm going to knock on every recording studio, radio station, bar, nightclub, disc jockey, promoter, talent agency, manager, and band door I can find. I'll be armed with professionally mastered CDs (my brother is currently recording some of my karaoke AND ORIGINAL SONG performances at different clubs, so it may end up being a DVD instead) and I'm going to make SOMETHING HAPPEN!! My beloved wife, who used to just roll her eyes when I started talking like this, now actually believes I can do this! I've got to get out into the real world and STIR THAT POT!!!! I know-a 60 yr. old guy with a heart condition is gonna become a country music star! HA,HA. Well, if ever there was a right time in this country for someone like me to come along, Les, I believe it's NOW! People want to believe in something!!!! Have you seen the movie "Sea Biscuit"? That's how I see myself-as a musical "Sea Biscuit"! Nobody gave that nag a snowflakes chance in hell, but....! "Tis' better to have tried and failed, than to never have tried at all!" And my goal? In three years time, I'm going to get out of my seat at the CMA awards, walk up the stairs onto the stage, and accept the award for BEST NEW MALE COUNTRY MUSIC RECORDING ARTIST!!! Remember this post! I'll be 60+ year old guy with the shaved head that'll be the talk of the ENTIRE COUNTRY!!! There are 3 kinds of people in this world-those who make things happen, those who WATCH things happen, and those who stand there mumbling,"Heyyyyy, wha' just HAPPENED??"-Hint: I AIN'T the LAST two!!!

Anonymous said...

Back in '93-'94 I used to sing karaoke in the Oceanside/San Marcos/San Diego area. I was a poor college student and had a somewhat decent voice. I was blondie-blond, 5'7 size 3/4... and would belt out my regulars rotating through the karaoke bars in the area. I would win prizes like dinner, show, etc. tickets. Kind of helped the Ramen diet of college. Anyway, one night Ike Turner (of Tina Turner) came in. He listened to me sing a soulful version of Always on My Mind and his assistant came up to me and gave me his card and took my number. She said he was starting an all girls band with a black girl/asian girl/hispanic girl/ and white girl. That I was wanted to be the "white girl." The next day she called and said I would start my training schedule with dance, working out, vocal rehearsal, and weight loss counselor. I weighed 118 and thought I was thin! I was also making straight A's in college. I had watched my sister (12 years my senior) get into the band scene and travel and do drugs to stay thin. I said no. A lot of people thought I was crazy, but now I am happy with a family and can still go win dinner in a karaoke bar once in a while. I feel God protected me from that lifestyle. For what it's worth :)

John Seymour said...

Dear anonymous #1 - I have been checking the CM awards, and have not yet seen "Anonymous" get up on stage to claim his reward. We are all rooting for you!

Dear anonymous #2 - I have a sneaking feeling that your life as a backup singer for Ike Turner would have been quite a bit different than the one you chose! It probably turned out for the better. And I agree, 5'7" and 118 pounds is thin in my book as well.