/* Google analytics tracker */ John the Revelator: Karaoke in Berlin, part 1

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Karaoke in Berlin, part 1

I spent this last week in Berlin. Friday night I finally got a chance to feed my karaoke addiction. I visited The Green Mango with Hiroyuki-san. Naturally, if you are in Germany, you need to go there with a Japanese fellow.
The place was hopping. We were lucky to catch the place on a night where there was a bachelorette party. I dunno. Maybe there is some mixture of luck. There were a lot of lovely young ladies, but there was also a male stripper. Maybe it's just me, but I don't normally expect to see guy wearing only a hand towel on stage at a karaoke bar. Must be my strict upbringing!

The song collection is excellent. They claim to have over 150,000 songs. I'm not sure, I didn't count. The books were well put together, with all the pages in plastic cover sheets. I know from personal experience that this is a big pain and expense even for a "tiny" little library of 10,000 songs.

As for the singing... I was quite impressed with several of the singers. In particular, there was a fellow who did two Michael Jackson songs complete with the moves. Excellent. There were at least two others who were great singers.

It seemed to me that most of the songs were German pop songs which I was not familiar with. There were a number of songs that are popular karaoke songs in the US, like "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", and "You Raise Me Up". I was happy to see that one of my favorite numbers, "You're Just Too Good to be True", was well received.

Will I go back there?  Yes... next September!

1 comment:

Gypsy Songstress said...

Admit it--you only created this post cause you wanted everyone to be jealous of the fact that you got to go to Berlin. Show off!!