/* Google analytics tracker */ John the Revelator: unique orchestrations

Sunday, May 9, 2010

unique orchestrations

For your delectation, I have a collection of unique orchestrations... remakes of popular songs with just a little different take. I hope you enjoy watching these videos as much as I have enjoyed collecting them!

The song Don't Stop Believin' by Journey has been kept alive with the cast from Glee. But even before Glee, it was one of the most maligned karaoke songs. (To see why I say that... catch this parody.) What better way to hear it performed than in one of the most maligned musical styles? Greenbrier performs a bluegrass version of the Journey hit. (The song really kicks out starting at 1:38.)

How about a sweeter version of it?  Here is the harp version by Camille and Kennerly.

Not bizarre enough? Don't Stop Believin' played on a violin would be cliche. How about two people playing it on violins?  Still not bizarre enough for you?  How about two people playing Don't Stop Believin' on one violin?

Sorry I couldn't find a video of this one, but the mp3 is worth it. Manhattan Transfer performs a sultry version of the top slow dance song of all time, Unchained Melody. Is it doo wop?  Or is it a polka?

Speaking of polkas, Weird Al has recorded the definitive version of Bohemian Polka. Not to be outdone, the Muppets' cover Bohemian Rhapsody. But the competition for the most bizarre version of Bohemian Rhapsody is fierce. How about hearing it on accordion and tuba?

This version of Toto's Africa by Perpetuum Jazzile quickly became my favorite. And strangely, this song was going through my head for a week solid. Well... maybe not so strange, since I was in Africa for a week solid.

This video of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly as performed by a string septet is good, bad, and ugly. I love it.

When I think of the song "Smoke on the Water", by Deep Purple, I naturally think of Japanese orchestras complete with erhus.  Well, actually, I didn't until I heard this version of Smoke on the Water!  (If you happen to be wondering about where Deep Purple got their name, have a look my blog on the origin of band names.)

How about Michael Jackson's Billie Jean?  It's just begging to be performed on kazoo, right? If you can't find six other guys to sing a capella Michael Jackson songs, you just have to do it yourself. But if you play bassoon and like Lady Gaga, it certainly can't be that hard to find three other bassoon players? Here is "The Breaking Winds" performing a medley of Lady Gaga songs.

Send me your favorites!

No comments: