/* Google analytics tracker */ John the Revelator: Karaoke Suicide - the play

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Karaoke Suicide - the play

I missed this play: Karaoke Suicide is Painless. I kick myself. But, I was busy that night. Or maybe I wasn't in Seattle? I don't remember. April was sooooo long ago.

The play is described as "A multimedia karaoke comedy that explores the correlation between air guitar and personal choice." That sounds like my kinda stuff. Intellectual and stupid at the same time.
This is a pic of the actress, Teri Wegant.  It really looks like I missed out. I understand that she was in Cider House Rules (I loved the book and was disappointed by the movie.) and also in The Search for Intelligent Life in the Universe.  My daughter did a reading from this Lily Tomlin book when she was in high school, so I have a deep personal connection.

The judge at the forensics meet did not give her the grade that my daughter deserved, by the way. My theory is that crazy people make judges uncomfortable. Like, it's too close to their own inner outer-limits?  I have no clue what that means, but I thought I would throw it in just in case someone thinks I'm brilliant.

Terri Wegant is holding a Shure SM58 mic, BTW. Oh, and she got a great review for the one woman show.

You know... I may have come off sounding a bit sarcastic about the play? Seriously... I do wanna see it. Someone bring it to Milwaukee, ok? Or Madison. I'd drive to Madison to see it. Meet me there. We'll go to Karaoke Kid after and have a good time on State Street, having gyros and way too much beer.


Sigh... just before I posted this blog I heard about yet another karaoke play that I missed, this one in Bloomfield, NJ. This one is a murder mystery, entitled "Karaoke Kills".

2 comments:

Lauren said...

The phrase "karaoke suicide" reminds me of a karaoke bar I loved that is no longer around. Super Starz in Woodstock, IL. Karaoke every night (maybe not Sunday). No smoking before IL passed the statewide laws. And great martinis. They also had theme nights once/month and...let's just say I'm not one to skip out on costume parties. Anyways, the point is that since I became a regular, there was a whole group of friends I made there and occasionally the owner would let us hang out after the bar was shut down. Eventually this resulted in a game of "karaoke roulette" or "karaoke suicide" where 1 person typed a random 4-5 digit code in the machine and the chosen singer had to sing whatever came up. Sometimes you knew the song...mostly you didn't. Haven't played for almost 3 years now...and I miss it.

John Seymour said...

Thanks for the little story, Lauren. I have heard a lot about karaoke roulette - I think I heard ot called "kamikaze karaoke" - but I have never played it. Just another wild party thing that I have heard about but never experienced first hand. Such a sheltered life.

Anyway, it sounds like fun. :)