/* Google analytics tracker */ John the Revelator: First church gig

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

First church gig

My church has a "Friday fun night". I had never been to one, but I volunteered to bring in karaoke for one of the events. I was kind of expecting a general collection of people from the church, and that this one would include a few more people who were into music.

I brought along all the gear and arrived forty-five minutes early to set up. That was great, since I found that I was missing an adapter when I got there.

So, I learned that it is important to know where the nearest Radio Shack or Best Buy is. I ran to the Best Buy, bought the adapter, and ran back.

Needless to say, when I got back, I found that the adapter was already on the end of the cable, and that cable was plugged into the mixer, just where it was supposed to be.

Hmmm... maybe I learned something else? I guess not, cuz I can't think of what it might be!

I have a pic here of my adorable wife and number one groupie, the Gypsy Songstress, doing a mic check for me.

I taught Algebra for a while at UW Milwaukee. I had my groupies there. Math professors have always had more than enough groupies. When Jagger and I would get together for a beer, that was the big conversation topic. His groupies were generally more strung out than my groupies, but other than that... it was all the same.

I must say... being a karaoke DJ and being down to just one groupie... that's a good thing. I recommend this to all math profs and all rock n roll legends: Become a karaoke DJ, and get yourself one good groupie.

But I digress.

The crowd was not quite what I was expecting. How was I to know that "Friday Fun Night" was the night for families with young children? I don't know if Jagger will sympathize with me on this one. Has he ever played a gig for people mostly under the age of 10? Ok, maybe the Backstreet Boys could.

I like kids. That's not the issue. I adored my own, I love my grandkids. (Yes, I have two granddaughters.) The only problem was that I really did not have the songs that they knew.

Since then, I bought some nursery rhymes. No one at a bar will ever sing "Eensy-weensy spider", but I have it in my book. I am ready for the next Friday Fun Night.

"A very special thank you to John Seymour for the karaoke. It was such a hit I'm getting requests for it every month. I'm also listening to my 2-year-old sing 'YMCA' as I type this!"

Sally

No comments: