/* Google analytics tracker */ John the Revelator: Books for my trip

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Books for my trip

Ok, so, call me a geek, but I found this pretty cool.

I am traveling next week to South Africa. (That is that part that is cool whether I am a geek or not.) Since my flights will be even longer than two full renditions of Paradise by the Dashboard Light, I figgered I should stock up on some novels.

And there is the rub. It used to be I could pick up almost any book that wasn't written by Sarah Palin and enjoy reading it. Those days are gone along with my youthful innocence and youthful figure. (I am just glad that Sarah has maintained her youthful ignorance.) As I grow older, it seems to get harder and harder for me to find a book that I enjoy. I wondered if there would be a good book recommendation service somewhere online.

I found one: What should I read next?  I entered a handful of my favorite books and it gave me a list of good books. At least they look like good books. Way cool!

My next step was to find used copies of the books online. I went to a site that is a favorite of mine: Better World Books. These folks look for books that are headed for landfills and rescue them. They sell the books cheap. The company is into good stuff like funding literacy programs and providing carbon-neutral shipping. And the books are cheap.

I dunno if I mentioned this, but they sell the books really cheap. The five books I bought cost me $20. Free shipping. $20. For 5 books. All of the books personally selected just for me by a professional book recommendation engine.

It took me half an hour. It cost $20. (I might have said this before, but the books were inexpensive.) And in a few days, the books were in my mailbox.

I'll let you know if I enjoyed them.

John the Revelator

2 comments:

Gypsy Songstress said...

So did you enjoy them?

John Seymour said...

Did I enjoy them? Well.... I only had a chance to read one of them. It was good. :)