/* Google analytics tracker */ John the Revelator: Jewish Christmas songs, once more

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Jewish Christmas songs, once more


Since we are in the Christmas season, and since I am talking about two Jewish songwriters (Pomus and Shuman), I will revisit the question of Jewish Christmas songs. A year ago, I wrote a post about Christmas songs that were written by Jews. I found nine such songs.

In April, I posted an addendum with a tenth Jewish Christmas song.

Just recently, Mathew Semple made me aware that another Jew, a certain Paul Simon, has just released a Christmas song. This brings the tally up to eleven.

2 comments:

Steve Duncan said...

Ok, maybe I'm dense, but songwriters need to write songs, and Christmas is a huge market waiting to be exploited.

Now, I'm pretty sure there are non-christians among the folks who build churches, and there's probably been a catholic or two among those who've built mosques.

So, really, how strange is it for a jew to write a Christmas song?

It's not like he was singing about Festivus or something.

John Seymour said...

Steve, you are so rational!!! LOL

Maybe I'm the one who is dense, but songwriting (at least for some) is something that comes from within - a more emotional reaction. It's also very personal, often being the work of one or two people. It's hard for a composer not to feel something personal with each song the write.

Then again, Jews are disproportionately represented in music. I just read that 65% of all Tony Awards for musical production went to Jews.
http://www.jinfo.org/Tony_Award_Musical.html

So... why shouldn't they have written some of them?