/* Google analytics tracker */ John the Revelator: Stories of losing your karaoke virginity

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Stories of losing your karaoke virginity


We all remember our first time. The nervousness, the anticipation, the excitement!
My first karaoke performance was in a bar in Appleton. I sang James Taylor's version of Steamroller Blues, and I totally rocked it. I mean none of those dulcet Sweet Bay James tones... I tore that song apart with my teeth and spat it out. A woman came up from the audience and stuffed a dollar bill in my jeans. (If you were there, you may remember it slightly different. You tell it your way. I'll tell it mine.)

I surfed the net to find other stories of the loss of karaoke virginity. I hope you enjoy!

First story
It was an aborted ski trip. He found himself at a little motel in a snowstorm. Since there was nothing to do, he headed for the bar, and got caught up in the camaraderie of karaoke and kamikazes.

Things started getting a little fuzzy by then, and the next thing I knew, I was up on stage with the mic in my hand, singing Folsom Prison Blues.  I had never karaoked before, and I had always thought it was pretty lame.  But there I was, in front of a dozen or so of my new best buds, singing my heart out. And I gotta say: I tore that shit up.  I was the Man In Black, even if it was black Gore-Tex.
http://butterbeanandcobra.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-i-lost-my-karaoke-virginity-in.html

Second story
She describes herself as one who always listens to the other people torturing karaoke songs, wanting to sing but always leaving for home with her tail between her legs. A party with co-workers changed all that.

“But last Saturday, I did it.  On Saturday, I lost my karaoke virginity!”
“Well, what was it like?”
“It hurt a little at first…but then it was smooth sailing.”

http://kenyonreview.org/blog/?p=10236

Third story
Here is another story of the loss of karaoke virginity that happened with coworkers and a party. To put her courageous feat in perspective, this is how she described watching her boyfriend sing:

"I would dig my nails into the palms of my hands and go through the motions of extreme anxiety, as if it was me on the stage. I would experience similar feelings if I saw others go on stage and bomb – feeling sympathetic stage fright."

She finally lost her karaoke virginity when she was out celebrating Christmas with co-workers. 

"Someone suggested karaoke and I egged them on, morbidly curious about seeing my boss sing. Turns out, he’s another one of those closet karaoke enthusiasts who would probably, if given the chance, sing Backstreet Boys tunes in front of an audience. In the space of half an hour, I found myself in a booth, helping people to choose songs, watching my boss belt out Wham! and drinking whisky. Someone passed me the microphone, I sang Tainted Love. It’s done."

http://captio.wordpress.com/2010/12/18/karaoke-done/ 

A bunch of fourth stories
There are a number of interesting karaoke stories on the website below. I have taken a few excerpts:

"Hi, My name is Moe, and I am a Karaoke junkie. Come, sit closer, and hear the tale of how a good and innocent young girl was lured into the dark underbelly of the karaoke world, and how, after losing her karaoke virginity (at about 18) became the notorious Mistress M- Kamikaze Karaoke Junkie (a.k.a. Miss Kitty)."

"I decided to try Billy Joel's Uptown Girl. I massacred the song by singing a verse that didn't belong, and created further damage as my voice cracked while singing a line... My first karaoke bar experience occurred in Montreal in the summer of 1993, at a club that boasted the perfect mix of atmosphere, alcohol, and good singers. Ever since then, I've been a karaoke slut."   

"All of a sudden, my love for karaoke turned into an outright addiction.


"It took me 6 weeks to decide that I had enough guts to hold a microphone and sing into it."

"I was "dragged" to a small café on Bloor Street in Toronto. That was it. I got the bug. I was hooked. Within months, all of my friends and my free time included karaoke."

http://www.dogandponysound.com/fun_stories.htm

Fifth story

"Details about the sing song, I really have no idea how to describe......... but the last 20 minutes was epic! Everyone of us stood up, I mean every single person in the room, and sang whatever song was playing. I don't know why, but I had a temporary voice conversion after that."

http://wseen.blogspot.com/2010/12/first-time-going-karaoke.html

5 comments:

Dimitri said...

"oops, I did it again", at a dive bar someplace in upper state new york.

Anonymous said...

With enough liquid courage anything is possible, hell I did it stone cold sober just had a little help from a friend, the question remains....when does liquid courage become liquid stupid LOL
Could be when one leaves and drives????

Wayne

Anonymous said...

Wisconsin State Fair.."Born to be Wild" Sobber, because I like to maintain control of all 6 of my senses... LOL! (I know it's 5 for most of you...)

Michael

Anonymous said...

I think I still have the hangover from the first time I did it several years ago... it takes a LOT of beer for me to even begin to think about it. And when I do start to think about it that should probably be an indication that I have had enough and it's time to go home!

Steve

Anonymous said...

Watching my friend Vince at Piece in Chicago (live band karaoke), writhing on the stage to "Darling Nikki" by Prince. Or my friend Brian doing Lemmy and whipping the audience into a frenzy to "Ace of Spades." :D

Laini