/* Google analytics tracker */ John the Revelator: More on "Cat's Meow"

Sunday, January 9, 2011

More on "Cat's Meow"

Faithful readers of this blog will recall that I have done a bit of mocking of the "karaokecam" that is located at Cat's Meow in New Orleans. It started with this post, where I let my adoring fans know that the webcam was not working.

When I ran into a site that listed KaraokeCam as one of the best 25 webcams in the world, I naturally had to post a followup.

I had the pleasure to visit New Orleans in March of 2009. I went down there with high expectations, since I had wanted to visit there for a long time. I was fully expecting that I would be disappointed, not so much because of Katrina, but just because I was expecting so much.

I was not disappointed in the least. New Orleans was fabulous. The cuisine, the 24-7 party atmosphere, the friendliness of everyone, the music, the music, the music, and yes, the music!

I also stopped in to sing karaoke at two places. Sorry to say, that was a tiny bit of a let down. Each place had a song "book" that was a single sheet of paper, printed on front and back. Neither place had more then a few hundred songs in the library. That blew me away. I don't think a KJ could survive in Milwaukee with less than a few thousand songs. But it was ok, really. I didn't visit New Orleans to sing karaoke. And maybe that's why they don't need more than a small collection of songs.

I ran into an article that has me confused again. The article talks about the top five nightclubs in New Orleans. The Cat's Meow is on that short list. To my surprise, the article had this to say:


it was one of the first clubs in the US that had karaoke, and fanatics say that it is one of the best (if not the best) karaoke club in the whole world.

Wow.  I am not sure that the Cat's Meow was one of the places that I sang at. I was there for a week. I was looking for karaoke. I think I would have found it. If it was one of the places that I sang, then I really don't understand the fanatics would say this is the bests karaoke spot in the world.  If didn't sing at the Cat's Meow, then I guess I really missed something big. Yet another reason for me to take another trip to New Orleans!

No comments: