/* Google analytics tracker */ John the Revelator: Bad karaoke dates, and one good one

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bad karaoke dates, and one good one

You may wonder how a date that includes karaoke could ever be bad... or then again, maybe you never stopped to think about it.

Well, a karaoke date could go bad, I suppose, if your date strips down to his pants while singing "The Real Slim Shady". Or how about if your blind date takes you to a private karaoke room and starts off singing "Springtime for Hitler"? Could be risky.

I was running karaoke one night when a fellow dropped off a slip, telling me that he wanted to impress the gal he was out with cuz it was a first date. When he got to stage, he announced that to the whole crowd, and yes... he was impressive. Excellent voice. The two of them left rather quickly after he sang. That was either a very good sign or a very bad sign. I never found out.


Despite the fact that I spent a lot of time in karaoke bars between marriages, I never met anyone while singing karaoke. I thought I made it pretty clear whenever I got the mic that I was single and looking. I dunno, maybe women don't go for that whole "single and desperate" vibe?  Or maybe I just should have read this advice back when I was single and looking?

Josh suggests that the girl maybe better not suggest karaoke for a first date, cuz he's gonna be trolling for his next first date. I learned from a pool shark that you always need to think about lining yourself up for the next shot. It never occurred to me to apply this strategy to dating!  


The folks at match.com also figger that karaoke on a first date is just not conducive to romance. Maybe their advice is worthwhile. After all, match.com did find me a wife. She sings karaoke, by the way. and I kinda like her.


As I write this, a memory comes back to me of a very special night at Clifford's, one of the karaoke places I frequented when I was single. There was a couple who were regulars. They often sang duets together. Cute couple. Nice people. One night, he proposed to her on stage. It was beautiful. Maybe karaoke can go together with romance.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey whats up it's slick nick. as of right now, long wong's is closed and no longer in business.

Anonymous said...

Some of the Karoke who run it aren't at all friendly or interesting...They just run it...get all flustered at requests....and don't encourage people to come up...they would rather not work so hard.....