/* Google analytics tracker */ John the Revelator: Home made guitars and spaghetti sauce - marketing appled to romance

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Home made guitars and spaghetti sauce - marketing appled to romance

Warning -- for those of you expecting a dorky blogpost about karaoke, please check out my previous blogpost. Or I'm sure my next one will be more on the topic of karaoke. For those who are ok with "sappy" -- read further.

A friend of mine is building his own guitar. I think that's pretty cool. You can follow his progress on Steve's blog. The picture below is from his blog. Note the clever product placement. Steve really knows how to market stuff. I imagine he is getting some big bucks from Miller.

I ran into Steve last week. When I mentioned this to my wife, I was reminded of the crucial part that Steve played in me meeting my wife. In a previous blog, I admitted that I kinda like my wife.I lied. I really like her. I am totally infatuated with this woman, and have been for almost six years. And it's all because of Steve.

Well, maybe not all because of him. But he did play a small part.

I admire Steve because he does a lot of totally different things well. He was originally trained as an engineer, but he wound up in marketing - market intelligence to be specific.  He also is a pretty decent photographer, does woodworking and has an outlandish blog about pencils and pens and PDAs and notepads and notebooks, and other stuff. And he has a blog about numbers. I typed in the number 12,647 (a favorite number of mine) and found out that this was the population of Brigantine City, NJ in 2008.

Six years ago, Steve gave me some practical advice about profiles on match.com. He said "John, you gotta put something in your profile that will set you apart from all the other schmucks out there." Rather than have the usual "I am incredibly good looking and very smart and successful and I love NASCAR" type of profile, he changed his profile to a description of the perfect date. I guess chicks really dig that whole "holding hands while you walk on the seashore" bit, cuz he found a lovely woman who he married.

I took his advice to heart and changed my profile into my recipe for spaghetti sauce, starting with the smell of garlic in olive oil and ending with the choice of wine.

It worked. The Gypsy Songstress took my bait. Within hours of me changing my profile, I had a date with Madelaine. Nine months later we were married.

Thank you, Steve.


1 comment:

Steve Duncan said...

I'm glad I could help John! I think the recipe was a very clever idea, and obviously I wasn't the only one 8-)

I hope to get the neck for the guitar started this weekend.