/* Google analytics tracker */ John the Revelator: The Gypsy Songstress

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Gypsy Songstress

Just to clarify... There were some photos that appeared on the internet, labeled "Gyspy Songstress". This is a soprano, apparently from Liverpool, who wears too much makeup (for my taste) and sings in the street, apparently giving away leaflets.
Do not be fooled. This Gypsy Songstress is not my Gypsy Songstress. Mine very rarely wears red. Below is a pic of the real Gypsy Songstress in all her plumage
I had to do a bit of research to find out who had stolen the name of my little songbird. I seems that the woman in the first picture is actually a woman named "Gypsy" - no songstress. Whoever took the picture had affixed the "Songstress " part.

Her original name was Sarah Watkins. She is an opera singer. Another mark against her in my book. I'm not maligning opera, or any of its aficionados. I personally just don't care for it. Or for heavy makeup.

Here is a video of Gypsy Watkins, opera singer from Birkdale, England.

I dunno... her voice sounds OK, for an opera singer. I really don't consider myself a seasoned critic of opera. I just know that I would much rather wake up listening to the warbling of my own Gypsy Songstress.

BTW... When Sarah Watkins had her name legally changed to Gypsy, she asked her husband to change his name to "Purple". He complied. I guess I could put up with changing my name from Revelator to Purple. John the Purplator? Purple the Revelator?  The makeup, the opera, though? I don't think I could deal with that.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw her perform live at a theatre and was impressed enough, along with a lot of other people, many pensioners, to pay £10 in advance for a DVD of the performance which was also being filmed. My DVD was never delivered and I don't know of anyone who received one. I have been unable to contact the agent (Purple) and the next I heard she had upped sticks to the other end of the country.... Nice.

That's the first Gypsy from Birkdale, not your rather magnificent singer, who I am sure would never pull such a stunt. :-)